Sunday 26 September 2010

Banned Books Week

Okay, so I know I'm a little slow onto the whole banned books week bandwagon and it probably doesn't happen in the UK, but that doesn't stop me from having something to say about it.

How could anyone ban a book? I mean is there like some sort of panel that decides whether a book is suitable or not? How can they decide how mature a person is and whether they can cope with reading about certain topics in a book? Surely it is the parents decision, right?

I've read that they've banned books from books about drugs and sex and sort of understandable things to 'promoting witchcraft' (Seriously? That is ridiculous! How the hell does Harry Potter 'promote witchcraft'. Any sort of magic that goes on in those books is like nothing compared to the sort of magic that supposedly happened in the past!)

Anyway, the big book that is up for debate this year (or so I've heard) is Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. Now, I haven't read this book, but have heard what its about and read mny a good review about it, and will surely be purchasing it soon. I don't really understand why people ban books about subjects like rape, because they are obviously NOT trying to promote sex, or any such thing. They are just stories, and they are giving out good messeges, like to SPEAK up about rape or abuse, and it shows what some of the consequences of such things are. These books are not trying to poison teens, like myself, minds. They are not trying to make people do bad things. And how are young people meant to learn about real life if you try stupidly hard to protect us from it. Lucikly my mum is a bibliophile and she lets me read whatever I want unless she thinks I'm not ready yet,and I trust her opinion on these things. Also she would probably have the same viewpoint on this subjct as I do. Oh, yeah, and if you think the 'F-bomb' is bad in a book, just come to the UK because teens use curse words in conversation all the time.

On a more bloggy note, I have just ordered Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles, which is like my first book from that sort of a genre, and I think I've chosen a good book to start with. And I'm going to put up a review for Infinite days soon as I've nearly finished reading it. And I'll probably put up loads of other reviews as well over the next week, as Ihaven't really done anything on the blog this week.

Cicely : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...