Thursday 6 January 2011

Bleeding Violet review

Bleeding Violet
Dia Reeves
January 5th 2010
Simon Pulse
Love can be a dangerous thing....


Hanna simply wants to be loved. With a head plagued by hallucinations, a medicine cabinet full of pills, and a closet stuffed with frilly, violet dresses, Hanna's tired of being the outcast, the weird girl, the freak. So she runs away to Portero, Texas in search of a new home.

But Portero is a stranger town than Hanna expects. As she tries to make a place for herself, she discovers dark secrets that would terrify any normal soul. Good thing for Hanna, she's far from normal. As this crazy girl meets an even crazier town, only two things are certain: Anything can happen and no one is safe. (Goodreads)

I am still trying to accumulate my thoughts about Bleeding Violet after I read the last line of the book. The first words that do come to my head, though, are insane, disturbing, Not-for-younger-readers, bewildering, twisted and absolutely brilliant. 

I thought I had an idea what to expect of Bleeding Violet, but even the first sentence proved me wrong. This book is unlike anything I have read before and I would like to see the workings of Dia's inner mind. I can already tell from the first chapter of Slice of Cherry that it is going to be twice as sick, and I cannot wait for it! But back to Bleeding Violet.

The plot was twisty-turny, and you literally never know what to expect. I have seriously never read a book like this, ever, in my life. Bleeding Violet is not for the weak stomached either. If you don't like blood, gore, or sex (not that that's really anything to do with weak stomachs, or is described at all in the book, though there are lots of erections. I just though I would mention it.)

Hanna was also unlike any YA character I've read about before. Hanna is a manic depressive teenager who generally neglects to take her pills, resulting in her thinking a lot of the strange things she sees in Portero are just her crazy hallucinations. Hanna was pretty unpredictable too, and I enjoyed her on-and-off relationship with Wyatt, and that she wasn't afraid to use him (well, she was a bit, but y'know her mother was more important to her, with good reason too.) Which was another I enjoyed about the book. A lot of books these days have completely non-existent parents, and the main part of this book was about Hanna's and Rosalee's relationship. Now, I have a pretty good relationship with my own mum, so I like it when characters in YA love their parents too, even if they do sometimes, y'know, whack each other over the head with lamps and Magic Keys.

So, yeah, even though I know that most of that probably didn't make much sense... (hey, who am I to make sense  ;p) Bleeding Violet was a highly enjoyable read, except when people and demons and whatever were getting dismembered and having their organs dragged out or committing suicide in which case it was pretty gross, but Bleeding Violet is really good, different, slightly disturbing read. 4 stars :)

1 comment:

  1. Nice review! Glad you enjoyed this one, it definitely is one of the more unique YA books I've ever read :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...