Monday 31 January 2011

Delirium review

Delirium
Lauren Oliver
February 1st (US)/3rd (UK)
Harperteen/Hodder 


Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love - the deliria - blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.





I have literally just turned the last page of Delirium and I am SOBBING. Now I know I cry a lot, but it takes a hell of a lot to make me sob. Delirium is quite possibly one of the most stunningly amazingly beautiful books I have ever read. No lies.


Lena and Alex are two of my favourite characters I've read about for a while. Watching first hand as Lena changed from being scared, not being able to wait until she was cured, to her seeing her world as it truly is, to see her finally wake up was amazing. And Alex. He was just brilliant. He was so caring, and kind, and not afraid to love. And he did love her, and she loved him and they were so beautiful together! And that's why it's all soo SAD!


The world building was also amazingly done and I felt like I was walking the streets of Portland with Lena, and all the quotes at the beginning of the chapter. There was such a vivid history and it felt like you knew the world. And the cure, and the whole sick and twistedness of the society. The thought that a world with hardly any emotion or affection at all, a world blanketed in fear, is a better than a world of colour and feelings and pure joy and LOVE. So what if love is what starts wars and violence, it's also what ends them. (Seriously, these guys need to read some Harry Potter. ;p)


And don't get me started about how amazing Lauren's writing is. Seriously, it is so damn beautiful, and it juts makes the ending that bit more soul wrenching. In a good way.


Even though I may have been a bit hesitant about starting Delirium out of fear it wouldn't live up to all the hype, it seriously did. Delirium is amazing and beautiful and IT WILL MAKE YOU CRY SO MUCH. I really am feeling so much love for this book. Just go and buy it and read it now. Only then will you understand, and (even though SO MANY people have used this line already) only then will you get infected with the Delirium. ;p 5 stars. :D And if Alex and Lena don't get a happy ending I will be PISSED. Miss Oliver, you have been warned ;p

3 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I'm always happy when another bloggers says how much he likes Delirium! I read it last year and it immediately became one of my all time fav books! I'll re-read it soon, do a re-post of my review and post an interview with Lauren Oliver, she is so sweet and funny:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw you listed Delirium as a DAC on your "Read in 2011" page,but it's Lauren's 2nd novel,also in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cicely, I'm so glad you liked this one! I honestly wasn't planning on reading it, but now I think I'll have to! Great review :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...