Thursday 19 May 2011

Flawless review

Flawless
Lara Chapman
May 10th (US)/ May 3rd (UK)
Bloomsbury


Sarah Burke is just about perfect. She's got killer blue eyes, gorgeous blond hair, and impeccable grades. There's just one tiny-all right, enormous-flaw: her nose. But even that's not so bad. Sarah's got the best best friend and big goals for print journalism fame.

On the first day of senior year, Rock Conway walks into her journalism class and, well, rocks her world. Problem is, her best friend, Kristen, falls for him too. And when Rock and Kristen stand together, it's like Barbie and Ken come to life. So when Kristen begs Sarah to help her nab Rock, Sarah does the only thing a best friend can do-she agrees. For someone so smart, what was she thinking?

This hip retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac is filled with hilariously misguided matchmaking, sweet romance, and a gentle reminder that we should all embrace our flaws.



When I got this to read from Bloomsbury, I was kind of excited to read it. I don't read a lot of Classics or their retellings, and I seriously had no idea what Cyrano de Bergerac was. So I sort of went into this not really knowing what to expect, and I can't really compare it with the book it was based on because I haven't read it, but I really enjoyed Flawless regardless! The only thing I really needed explaining to me was why the main boy was called Rockford. Seriously. That's his name. This might just be me, and he was a lovely guy and whatever, but names that involve masonry = not good. IMO. ;D


I really liked Sarah and found her really relatable as a character, but like every other page she was moaning about her nose. I mean, it's acceptable, but after a while it just got a teeny bit annoying. It can't have been THAT big... And I liked Kristen, but I really wanted to hate her because she's that girl that you HAVE to like but you want to hate but you can't. Making your best friend decieve the boy you like (that she also fancies the PANTS off) and crying when she says she won't do it because 'that's what a good friend would do' is not on. And Rock was lovely! Apart from his name... But he was handsome, intelligent, funny, all good really! And he really does goes better with Sarah than Kristen. Lying to boys you like is never a good way to get them to like you. Sometimes. Well, in the case of this book. :D


I really enjoyed Flawless, and while I usually dislike books that have some really obvious message, I do think that the message Flawless put across is important. DON'T LET YOUR MUM TRY AND CONVINCE YOU TO HAVE A NOSE JOB. I jest, I jest, but seriously, it is really important to become comfortable with yourself and love you for who and what you are, not what you'd be after some surgeons cut your face up. (sorry, I don't like plastic surgery. It freaks me out. But that's just me.)


Flawless was a great book, with a great message of learning to love yourself, and (from what I've read) it sticks pretty close to the plot of the original play. Sweet, short and funny, you might want to give this book a try. 4 stars :D

3 comments:

  1. Excellent review :D I have a copy of this waiting to be read - I've just become ten times more excited about it xD Now, if only I could stop reading the other books that I need to read...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently read and loved this book, like you I enjoyed the message behind it :) makes me interested about the play!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this review! Definitely one for my Not-So-Bebe-Girl Autumn's bookshelf!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...