Monday 2 May 2011

It's Not Summer Without You review

It's Not Summer Without You
Jenny Han
April 27th 2010 (US)/ May 5th 2011 (UK)
Simon & Schuster/ Puffin Books

Can summer be truly summer without Cousins Beach?


It used to be that Belly counted the days until summer, until she was back at Cousins Beach with Conrad and Jeremiah. But not this year. Not after Susannah got sick again and Conrad stopped caring. Everything that was right and good has fallen apart, leaving Belly wishing summer would never come.

But when Jeremiah calls saying Conrad has disappeared, Belly knows what she must do to make things right again. And it can only happen back at the beach house, the three of them together, the way things used to be. If this summer really and truly is the last summer, it should end the way it started--at Cousins Beach.

I seriously love these books. Even though they don't seem like they're all that special, there's just something about them that compels me, that makes me fall in love with the characters and the story and the world, and it's just brilliant. And one thing that I also love about these books, is that they could all work as stand alones. Each of them gives enough back story and flashbacks for you to get a sense of how important these summers are to these people, (but of course reading the first book is highly recommended as it's awesome.)


Belly infuriates me. I love the girl, but she can just be so childish and immature that she really could just do with a slap. It's just the way she unintentionally plays with Conrad and Jeremiah that breaks my heart, because they're both so lovely. (So Conrad puts on a hard front, we all know he's a softy really ;p) But I've really come to love them over the past two books, especially this one. Reading some of the chapters from Jere's perspective really made me love him even more. But I don't want him and Belly to be together. It wouldn't be right. He needs to find himself a nice girl, who'll really appreciate him, and won't be all indecisive about whether or not she still wants to cop off with his brother. Nope, Conrad and Belly deserve each other. We all know he still likes her!


Also, this was different from the first one, because INSWY only spanned about 4 or 5 days. And believe me, more drama can happen in 4-5 days than you'd think. Things have changed at Cousin's (though I won't say, because I don't want to spoil it) and whilst looking for Conrad, they discover a bad thing happening down at the summer house. (I'm really making this sound like a bad children's mystery novel, aren't I?)


Anyways, It's Not Summer Without You was an awesome book that has me dying for the next one to see if Belly and Conrad get together, or if everyone'll end up unhappy. (hopefully, the former.) 5 stars :D

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait for this one! I loved the first one, it was amazing :) Your review is making me jealous. :L

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this booooook:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...