Monday 19 September 2011

Hunting Lila review

Hunting Lila
Sarah Alderson
August 4th
Simon & Schuster Childrens


17-year-old Lila has two secrets she's prepared to take to the grave. The first is that she can move things just by looking at them. The second is that she's been in love with her brother's best friend, Alex, since forever. Or thereabouts.After a mugging on the streets of South London goes horribly wrong and exposes her unique ability, Lila decides to run to the only people she can trust - her brother and Alex. They live in Southern California where they work for a secret organisation called The Unit, and Lila discovers that the two of them are hunting down the men who murdered her mother five years before. And that they've found them. Trying to uncover the truth of why her mother was killed, and the real remit of The Unit, Lila becomes a pawn in a dangerous game. Struggling to keep her secrets in a world where nothing and no one is quite as they seem, Lila quickly realises that she is not alone - there are others out there just like her - people with special powers -and her mother's killer is one of them...


Hunting Lila is definitely one of the more interesting books I've read lately. I've always loved the idea of having a psychic ability, like telekinesis (I was a nerdy kid. I always wanted to be Raven from Teen Titans ;p) and I haven't really read that many books that are just about a normal kid who happens to have a bit of psychic power, apart from Hourglass, which I was reminded of quite a lot reading this, which is a great thing because Hourglass was awesome!


I really liked Lila, and I thought she was a great main character. She had depth, and she had way more to herself than just her ability - and besides, that didn't really come into it much until the last half of the book anyway, when all the big secrets start getting revealed. Even through her 17 year long love for Alex, she didn't annoy me at all, and I thought her massive crush on him was just really cute, and I was glad to see how that all worked out. Plus, who could blame her?! Alex was HOT. I mean, come on! He rode a motorbike! I could've done with im having better hair though... #boocrewcuts ;p But he was everything you want from a love interest, plus he wasn't an asshole! There were times, but most of the time, he was sweet and understanding about Lila and her circumstances.


And OMG THE PLOT. I can honestly tell you, I was surprised with most of the things revealed in this book about Lila and her ability and her mother. I did not see most of it coming, and I was glad! Sometimes I want to read something fairly predictable, and sometimes I want something that just throws my guesses out of the ball park. I loved not really knowing who the bad guy was, and even know I'm still not sure who we should be trusting.


I also ended up really loving a lot of the side characters, even though they were only in it for a short while. Suki, Ryder and Amber especially. They were just so nice and they all had such a great relationship... I liked them more than Jack sometimes, but even though Jack had his moments, there was always a reason. I hate it when people do things and things happen with no believable motivation whatsoever. With what the Unit had told Jack about people like Lila, all his reactions were completely understandable, I mean, really everyone's was. Which was great. And it wasn't all just Black and White either. There were lots of shades of grey in the book, which was also really good :)


Hunting Lila is a fun, exciting, unique, fast-paced thrill ride of a book and I really enjoyed it! Sucks having to wait until next August (:O) for book 2 though... ;p



3 comments:

  1. Ooh I LOVE books like this! I've never heard of Hunting Lila, but I really wanna get my hands on it:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are there any other books like this?? i mean im so interested in psychic talents right now and i just love Hunting Lila i can't wait for the second books!! >.<

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...