Thursday 12 January 2012

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight review

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
Jennifer E Smith
January 2nd 2012
Headline


Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A. 

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.



Just as a little note, I will not be referring to the book by it's full title for the whole review. Because it's really long. If you hadn't noticed that.


This book made me want to melt into a puddle of adorableness. I think that's about the best way I can sum up my feelings for this book. I loved it because it made me feel warm inside, and gave me happy fuzzy feelings by the end of it. I may have possibly hugged it. I probably did... That seems like something I would do.


A lot of people have compared this book to Anna, and while it's true that if you didn't like Anna (who are you and WHY DO YOU NOT LOVE IT?!) then you will probably not like this, but I don't think they have that much in common. They're just both lovely YA books. And this book managed to achieve so much in its 200 or so pages. It's the perfect length, quick and fun to read with enough depth to keep you emotionally involved with the story, and I must've read it one sitting. Couldn't put it down! I was too busy shouting at Hadley and Oliver to get the hell together already!


On the note of Oliver, I LOVE HIM. Honestly, why are British boys in books always so lovely! They're not in real life, as far as I can tell. Why are they so charming and cheeky and wonderful! WHY? Not that he was perfect or anything, because I loathe 'perfect' boys in YA. He had problems too, and he wasn't nice all the time, and he had feelings and stress and things happening in his life. But he was smart and funny and he read Dickens and just leave me here to swoon and things.


And Hadley. I liked seeing her go through what she was going through, and I could get all of her stress and stuff, and I loved the conversations between her and Oliver and how they just got on so well, and while like, a lot of this book isn't really properly possible, it does give you hope that public transport can provide a person with whom you could spend a lot of your life with. That was unnecessarily wordy. But you get my point right?


So this review is a bit of a shambles, but that's how coherent my thoughts about this book are. It's just wonderfully... wonderful. And I hight suggest it if you're feeling sad about things. Happy making books are good books :D I'm going to go away now.

1 comment:

  1. AWN! I WANT IT REALLY, REALLY BADLY! I think it's just what I need. *-*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...