Monday 20 February 2012

A Midsummer Tight's Dream review

A Midsummer Tights Dream 
Louise Rennison
February 2nd 2012
HarperCollins


It’s the hotly anticipated sequel to the winner of the Roald Dahl Funny Prize, WITHERING TIGHTS – laugh your tights off as Tallulah Casey and her bonkers mates return for a new term at Dother Hall performing arts college. Boys, snogging and bad acting guaranteed! 

Yaroooo! Tallulah’s triumphant Heathcliff in ‘Wuthering Heights’ the comedy musical was enough to secure her place at Dother Hall performing arts college for another term. She can’t wait to see her pals again, Charlie and the boys from Woolf Academy and maybe even bad boy Cain… 

When an international visitor comes to stay could the bright lights of Broadway be calling? And for who? Find out in the next Misadventures of Tallulah Casey.



Oh, Tallulah Casey and your mad ways and your mad friends, did I miss you! Honestly, I do adore these books. They're just so funny and mental and a bit of fresh air from all of those serious books I read with plain old boring characters with plain old boring boyfriends and plain old boring stories, (just kidding, I love my normal books that I read), but these books are particularly adorable. They're definitely a bit more middgle grade than young adult, and the teens that like to think they're more grown up than they are probably won't enjoy them, but I think most teen and preteen girls will just kind of relate. Amidst her madness, Tallulah is pretty normal.


And on the subject of Tallulah (she is the main character and all), like I previously said, I adore her! I guess that's really all I'm going to be saying in this review, really... Yeah. Honestly, any one who doesn't like her because she's too silly or too weird or too obsessed with her knobbly knees and her random Irish dancing (which if she does do in the middle of another big play to get a laugh again will probably annoy me, but not by much, because it is entertaining to read). Beneath all of the quirks and funny words she makes up and the fact that her and her friends are a bit posh, she's a normal girl with normal girl concerns and normal girl, well, normalness? Yeah...

Also, I think Louise Rennison almost got me to start think Cain was a moderately, dare I say it, decent person. And that really is something I never thought would happen. Though I did think he would start taking a fancy to Tallulah! I just hope that those rough Northern girls with the Northern grit and their crushes on silly Northern bad-boys don't think that it's Tallulah's fault. Sadly, they already do so... Let's just hope there's no violence! Which considering the fact that it's Louise Rennison there probably won't be. Unless Tallulah randomly starts Irish Dancing again and accidentally kicks one of them on the shin, and I think I may be rambling again. See! These, my friends, are the perils of letting me read books like these. I start to channel them. Next thing you know I'LL be the one Irish Dancing and rubbing my corkers with hiking socks and preparing for wearing the golden slippers of success at a performing arts school failing to pay taxes! Well, not really. But still.

These books really are all about the characters. They're all just so vast and vibrant and riduculously exaggerated, but done in such a way and in such an environment that I don't really mind, because they're just so much fun to read! And they're really quick to read too, though I'm not sure if that's because of the font size or the fact that I can't get enough of them! I didn't think I'd be saying this, but I really can't wait to find out what happens! A whole YEAR for the next book?! That's far too long! But I'll just have to deal. I waited a year for this one! Besides, too much Louise Rennison fun and I'd just be plain spoilt. Though I may have to drag out my sister's copies of the Georgia Nicholson books and read those.. Hmm...

A Midsummer Tights Dream is just as much rollicking, drama based fun as the first book, and it is just as, if not more, enjoyable than the first because we know of Tallulah's shall we say unusual ways and the cast of boys that she's been crushing on. I eagerly anticipate more of Tallulah's Misadventures!

2 comments:

  1. This review put a big smile on my face! I'm really looking forward to reading the book now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this book is an amasing read and if this review doesnt convince you then you are bonkers

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...