Thursday 22 March 2012

The Last Echo review

The Last Echo
Kimberly Derting
29th March 2012
Headline


In the end, all that’s left is an echo. 

Violet kept her morbid ability to sense dead bodies a secret from everyone except her family and her childhood-best-friend-turned-boyfriend, Jay Heaton. That is until forensic psychologist Sara Priest discovered Violet’s talent and invited her to use her gift to track down murderers. Now, as she works with an eclectic group of individuals—including mysterious and dangerously attractive Rafe—it’s Violet’s job to help those who have been murdered by bringing their killers to justice. 

When Violet discovers the body of a college girl killed by “the girlfriend collector” she is determined to solve the case. But now the serial killer is on the lookout for a new “relationship” and Violet may have caught his eye... 




I can't believe I had almost forgotten how much I loved these books. I'd forgotten a bit about what had happened in Desires of The Dead, plus I'd thought it suffered a little bit from Second Book Syndrome, but she really brought it back here! The killer was creepier, the stakes were higher, and the only thing I can say against it is that there wasn't really much Jay in it! But I guess it's difficult to write a lot of him in if all they do is kiss and stuff... Plus I really liked learning about the kids at the Centre and the ending! I knew that he was a dodgy character! (Nope, not telling you who he is, you'll just have to red it for yourself!)


Violet is such a great character! I love her. I don't really know what it is about her, though. She's not particularly butt kicking (those she does seem to deal with serial killers WAY more than the average teenager should), but she's not annoying or needy or irritating or anything. She's just nice. And I've had a lot of time to read about her, so, yeah.


Jay wasn't in this book a lot, but that didn't annoy me too much as Rafe was in it a lot, and it was great to finally find out what he could do! Though he could go a little too far on the broody side, he certainly had his reasons and I think beneath all that he's not such an ass. But this whole thing with Rafe just made me like Violet even more because she wasn't all 'but I want him, but I want this other guy, oh who should I choose'. It was kind of a love triangle, but not really a love triangle, because although this new romantic tension is good, I think that Jay and Violet are pretty much unbreakable. They've had their strains, but for me this series isn't about Will they Won't they, it's about Violet and her ability and stuff.


The killer's chapters, as always, were super creepy. It kind of scares me how easily Kimberly finds it to write these chapters! Well, I don't really know if she finds it easy at all, but you know what I mean. I kind of felt like in Desires, the killer wasn't as creepy as in the first book, and I was worried that that was going to be it and the rest weren't going to be that interesting either, but this guy is just insane. And honestly, it was quite sad. He was just trying to get someone to love him. In completely horrible kidnappy, murderous ways, but still. Just be wary about that lilac nail polish that Kimberly is giving away on her blog though. You probably won't feel as comfortable wearing it when you find out the significance of it in the book. Also, I get why the US  cover is purple now!


As I've already said, I felt like Desires didn't quite match up to the first book, which made me a bit concerned about how this one would turn out, but as soon as I read the first chapter I knew we would be back in the thick of the action and that it would all be excellent again. I mean, I liked Desires, but my expectations were a little too high for it, I think. And the last 50 pages or so of this book were SO INTENSE. Really. I could not put it down. And I finally get the title now as well! Poor Violet, though. It's really awful, what she's going to have to live with now. (Again, not telling you! Read it!)


The Last Echo was a book that went over my expectations of it, and serves as an excellent addition to an already amazing series. Honestly, if you haven't read these books yet, YOU MUST. You will not regret it.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear the series stays strong! We haven't checked it out yet -- we know, we know, we're so behind! -- but we love the premise and it's on our TBR list.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...