Tuesday 13 March 2012

Top Ten Historical Fiction Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where bloggers make lists about books and other suitably bookish things. This week we're doing our favourite 'X' genre books, so I chose to do Historicals!

1. The Agency series by Y S Lee. I adore this series! It's got one of my favourite heroines and it's about a women's detective agency in Victorian London! What's not to love?

2. Witch Child by Celia Rees. I have always loved this book. I just think that it's really, really good and informed me a lot about pilgrims and the whole kind of culture they had there. The sequel, Sorceress is just as good.

3. The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner. Set in the heart of the French Revolution, it's full of magic and romance and it's just really good.

4. Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey. I just have a thing about Victorians, okay? I love them. If your book is about Victorians, and is historically accurate, I will probably love it. Especially if it has ghosts in it.

5. Chime by Franny Billingsly. I'm not actually sure if this is a historical, but I think it must've been. Regardless, it read like it was, and it's such an incredible, beautiful, amazing book. 

6. Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare. Well, this whole series! It's even better than the TMI books in my opinion, even though I have issues with Tessa. But everything else about them is incredible!

7. Naked by Kevin Brooks. I think I can count this as a historical. It's set in the past, so it counts right? Anyway, a brilliant book about punk in the 70s with a really interesting twist involving the troubles that'd been happening in Northern Ireland at the time. Totally broke my heart by the end of it.

8. A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly. This book really surprised me. I mean, people said good things about it, but I wasn't sure that I'd like it, but it was really amazing! I loved the ending.

Those are all I have for now! I probably should've realised that I haven't actually read that many Historical books, but I'm working to change that! I love historical novels and I'm starting to make the effort to read more :)

8 comments:

  1. Hi there :) just popping in...

    Oohh more books for me tio check out :) great list by the way.

    I'm also your newest follower :) Here is my choice...

    Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I read very few historical novels - though I want to get my hands on Naked by Kevin Brooks!

    Tara @ Hey, Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clockwork Angel blew me out of the water! WAY better than The Mortal Instruments! Pure brilliance and I can not wait for the last instalment. Great list! I'm new to romance and so I'm going to check these out, I can't get enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Revolution the other Donnelly book on my shelf. I've heard good things about Northern Lights. Great List.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I generally dislike Historical Fiction, although there are a couple on your list that I've read and loved. I would add the Gemma Doyle trilogy by Libba Bray and The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell, because I did LOVE those. As for the others on your list that I haven't read, I'm going to check them out. Thanks for sharing!

    Check out YA Litwit’s Top Ten Fairy Tale Retellings and my GIVEAWAY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should read Vixen by Jillian Larkin - it's like, one of my favourite historicals ever! :D And I will check out The Agency series, it sounds awesome ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh and like Karis said The Gemma Doyle trilogy is amazing if you haven't read that ;D

      Delete
  7. Oh YAY Clockwork Angel <3 I enjoy historical fiction very much!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...