Monday 16 April 2012

Blood Promise review

Blood Promise
Richelle Mead
August 25th 2009
Razorbill


How far will Rose go to keep a promise?

The recent Strigoi attack at St. Vladimir’s Academy was the deadliest ever in the school’s history, claiming the lives of Moroi students, teachers, and guardians alike. Even worse, the Strigoi took some of their victims with them... including Dimitri.

He’d rather die than be one of them, and now Rose must abandon her best friend, Lissa—the one she has sworn to protect no matter what—and keep the promise Dimitri begged her to make long ago. But with everything at stake, how can she possibly destroy the person she loves most?





*This review will possibly contain spoilers and will definitely include emotional outbursts*


Well, now that you've all been suitably warned, let's get on with this. I think this book has been my least favourite of the series so far (which, considering how much I love the other books, is not bad thing, and I still loved it, it's just that there was more that annoyed me in this book than there have been in the others.) First of all, Rose from about half way in until about 70 pages from the end. What the hell, girl?! (I'll come back to this in a minute). Second, Lissa and Christian (and by this I mean, not enough Christian. What? He's one of my favourite characters!) Thirdly, I kind of felt my attention wandering in places, but not in the places I thought I would.


I think that my favourite part of this book was actually the beginning. Well, just the whole first half. I thought that I'd find it a bit boring and dragging because there was no Dimitri, but this wasn't actually the case. I found myself falling in love with Russia, and more so the people Rose met there. Dimitri's family was one of my favourite things about this book, as I'd never really given them that much thought before, and they turned out being amazingly lovely. I kind of want them to adopt me a little bit. I even loved Yeva! In fact, I especially loved Yeva. Any granny who pretends not to speak English to avoid crap conversations is awesome in my books. Also, I love Abe. And not even because of the things explained in the end (though that did add to my love for him). It's just because he's one of these kind of funny, kind of terrifying people, and I don't really know why I like him actually...  I just do.


Also, I loved the new side of Adrian we saw in this book. It was interesting to get to see him act as more of a big-brother type than him just fancying Rose all the time, but that being said, I think that when Rose came back he acted really well then too, and I just think he's gotten better as a character. I loved him anyway, but I just like the way that he's acting towards everyone more now, I guess? And Jill! I love Jill! If I was anyone in this series, I would probably be Jill (unless she ends up being a bitch in Bloodlines and stuff, in which case, no.) But for the time being I think that she's pretty funny and sweet, and kind of a fangirl, but she also wants to learn to fight and stuff, which is cool. Lissa kind of annoyed me in this book, but that wasn't her fault. I'm just kind of annoyed about what happened with Christian and they MUST get back together or I will be pissed.


Okay, I think I'm ready to talk about Rose now. This'll be the most spoilery bit, so, yeah.
*inhales* Okay, Rose, what the hell? Seriously. I know that you love Dimitri more than anything and all that, but seriously? What happened to the bad ass Rose that I got to know in the first three books? Because for a lot of this book, she was pretty freaking vacant. And I know that Dimitri was all biting you and stuff, and that you were all confused. Fair enough. And I know it all lead to you being awesome in the end, it still just frustrated me to no end. You forgot everything you learned about, from the guy you love I might add, and you just kind of became a wimp. And while I think it was helpful in terms of character development and all that, it still irritated me. So we'll be having none of that again.

Rant over. Okay, I think I've vented enough about this book. I also think it was kind of stupid of me to call this a review. It's just kind of me getting angry. Sorry about that. I hope you enjoy seeing me in emotional pain because of a blooming book series. Who am I kidding, I love it all really ;)

1 comment:

  1. Love the gushing rant C! I ADORE this series and its spin-off Bloodlines!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...