Wednesday 4 July 2012

Last Sacrifice review

Last Sacrifice
Richelle Mead
December 7th 2010
Puffin/Razorbill


Murder. Love. Jealousy. And the ultimate sacrifice.

Rose Hathaway has always played by her own rules. She broke the law when she ran away from St. Vladimir’s Academy with her best friend and last surviving Dragomir Princess, Lissa. She broke the law when she fell in love with her gorgeous, off-limits instructor, Dimitri. And she dared to defy Queen Tatiana, leader of the Moroi world, risking her life and reputation to protect generations of dhampir guardian to come.

Now the law has finally caught up with Rose—for a crime she didn’t even commit. She’s in prison for the highest offense imaginable: the assassination of a monarch. She’ll need help from both Dimitri and Adrian to find the one living person who can stall her execution and force the Moroi elite to acknowledge a shocking new candidate for the royal throne: Vasilisa Dragomir.

But the clock on Rose’s life is running out. Rose knows in her heart the world of the dead wants her back... and this time she is truly out of second chances. The big question is, when your life is about saving others, who will save you?



*Spoliers. Though if you've come here not expecting any by now then you're an idiot. No offense*


Can I just quickly say, before we get onto things, that I still don't know who this girl on the cover is meant to be. This is why I prefer the new UK covers, even if I don't really understand some of the objects on them (I get the Rose, the snowflake, the lips and the heart, but why the candles and the key?! Oh well...) But the cover model for these books just confuses me. Like, is it meant to be Rose? Who read Rose's character description and chose this person? And it's the same with all the others! NONE of them look like Rose! It just baffles me. I had to have one last cover rant, seeing as this will be my last review of a Vampire Academy book. For old times sake. Even though I've only ranted about the covers once before. Oh well. Let's not get lost in the particulars.


Last Sacrifice, while not being my favourite of the books (I think, I'm not sure which one is my fave, I'll be honest with you. They're all pretty close) was really bloody good. It still gave me some of the same grievances I had about Spirit Bound, mind, the first of which being that I find it really hard to type the words spirit and sacrifice, making it fairly difficult to actually write a review not full of spelling errors. But with things to do with the actual story, I basically just mean the stuff that happened with Adrian.

I really, really like Adrian, and I kind of hate Rose a teeny tiny little bit for doing that to him. I know that Dimitri is basically a sexy Russian god (though not like, literally a god), but c'mon Rose! I love you and Dimka together, I always knew that you would be, but couldn't you at least wait until you'd broken up with Adrian first?! That's just mean. I really hope that Adrian finds someone in Bloodlines, and that he doesn't get worse. I wish he'd never fallen in love with Rose in the first place so that he could've saved himself from a bit of heartbreak. But he'll move on. Hopefully. Tell me he gets a new love interest!

That being said, though, I still love Rose. I mean, she makes mistakes all the time, but that's no reason to hate her. She's only young, and she's so freaking badass that I think she can be forgiven. I think I'll really miss Rose, now that I've finished the series, and I'll have to find some other reckless, bad ass girls to read about. What can I say, they're one of my favourite kinds of heroine. Maybe I'll just have a Buffy marathon, and then write another massive blogpost about how much I love Buffy. That seems like a good idea...

I also actually liked Sydney a lot in this book, too. When we first met in her Blood Promise, I wasn't really all that keen on her, I guess. It's not that I didn't like her, it's just that she seemed a bit boring? But we got to know her quite a bit better in this book, and I liked her Alchemist practicality. As much as I love people like Rose, I also like characters that don't just through themselves into any old crazy situation, and have plans and are prepared and stuff. Also, she can be pretty sarcastic when she wants to be, which also helped to win me over.

I did kind of find some of the Lissa bits a bit dragging, though, even though I know that they're important to the story. I would find myself about to start a whole chapter of Rose looking through Lissa's eyes getting the lo-down about what was going on in court, and I'd just get bored. It wasn't really until they got further in their mission to find Tatiana's real killer that I got a bit more interested by them. And OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE IT WAS HER! What the hell, Richelle Mead! You can't just make us like a character for 5 books and then make her a murderer. That's just mean.

Look at me, writing a relatively normal review for the last Vampire Academy book! I'm proud of myself. Maybe it's just because I feel emotionally broken after rewatching all of the Harry Potter films, and just not having to capacity fangirl as much as I usually do. Anyway, that'd irrelevant. Thank you, Vampire Academy, for being wonderful, kickass, sexy, dramatic, thrilling and more than a little heartbreaking. I can't wait to get stuck into Bloodlines, but it'll never, ever be a replacement for you, and I'm 100 percent certain that I won't be able to go long without needing a reread.

Crap, now I feel all sentimental again. What the heck is wrong with me today?!

1 comment:

  1. anabolic steroids
    How can I add a hit reverse to my weblog writer blog? Specific guidelines would be valued. I explored reverse on search engines and i can get this value but i don't know what to do with it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...