Monday 2 July 2012

Spirit Bound review

Spirit Bound
Richelle Mead
May 18th 2010
Puffin/Razorbill


Dimitri gave Rose the ultimate choice. But she chose wrong...

After a long and heartbreaking journey to Dimitri’s birthplace in Siberia, Rose Hathaway has finally returned to St. Vladimir’s—and to her best friend, Lissa. It is nearly graduation, and the girls can’t wait for their real lives beyond the Academy’s iron gates to begin. But Rose’s heart still aches for Dimitri, and she knows he’s out there, somewhere.

She failed to kill him when she had the chance. And now her worst fears are about to come true—Dimitri has tasted her blood, and now he is hunting her. Only this time, he won’t rest until Rose joins him... forever.

*Do I even have to warn you anymore...? There WILL be spoilers for this book and all previous books in the VA series in this 'review'*

I always struggle to write reviews for these books, because I don't really know how to. They make me lose my ability to be a normal, coherent person, and I just don't know how to talk about them critically. I feel like each of my reviews for these books have just been a descent further and further into madness, and my review for Last Sacrifice (which should be coming to you VERY SOON INDEED) will just be scribbles and word vomit and tears. So. That should be fun.

Spirit Bound, as with all the rest of these books, was REALLY GOOD. Like, seriously. So much stuff happens in it. And I just couldn't read it fast enough. Like a lot of people said, the first 100 pages or so dragged a bit, but as soon as we got fully into the flow of the story, I struggled to put it down. There were also a lot of things that made me want to bang my head against a wall, but that's no detriment to the series. Sometimes the characters are just so blind!

Like this whole thing Rose had/has with Adrian. Everyone knows that Rose is going to end up with Dimitri, even before that THING in the middle of the book happened that made it a realistic possibility. Everyone in the world ever can see that Rose and Adrian are never going to work out because it's obvious that she still lurves Dimitri and that as long as he is still on the planet, regardless of whether he has a soul or not, or has become a totally creepy undead stalker. Even if he properly died, she'd still be hung up on him and take ages to move on. So while it's nice that they think they have this thing (and they do have a thing. It's obvious Adrian loves Rose, and that Rose loves Adrian, but Rose loves Adrian in a different way, so heartbreak is on the cards for our favourite sarcastic alcoholic vampire.)It really makes me sad, though, because I love Adrian, and I want him to be happy so freaking badly, but I hate the fact that he can't see that that'll never happen with Rose.

And didn't Dimitri go through a massive transformation in this book?! Literally! He went from being a crazy, creepy, stalkery, Strigoi bastard (I love you, Dimka, but OMFG YOUR STRIGOI SELF WAS SUCH A DICK) to being the old Dimitri again. Only (SHOCK HORROR) he's saying that he can no longer love anything other than his coveted cowboy duster (So I might have added that last part, but it *so* implied). Dimitri, I don't know what you're trying to pull, but you're not fooling anyone. Or so you would think apart from the fact that he fools ever single character in the book. How is it not obvious to them that he still does?! He's just trying to be the big man and protect everyone, and I know he's kind of recovering from being turned back from being a soulless bloodsucking monster, but come on. I can see through your lies, Dimitri.

And I am so freaking glad that Christian and Lissa finally got their shit back together, and the stopped being so pissy with each other. I knew it wouldn't last long. There was just no way they could stay away from each other that long. They're just too cute together. I just hope that it stays this way and that there isn't anything in Last Sacrifice that'll mean they'll have to break up. Because they can't, y'know. They just can't do that. They've been together since book one, and there's no way that after they've been together all this time that they'll end up not being together, right?! I won't let them.

And the ending of this book! After everything that happens, who thought it was a good idea to end it there, huh?! That wasn't an ending! I am just so glad that I had a copy of Last Sacrifice to read straight after I'd finished with this. If I'd have had to wait however long between the two of them coming out, it would've been torture. I don't know how you did it, Vampire Academy veterans. You have my respect, because I wouldn't have have the patience.

So, this probably isn't as long as my reviews usually are, and I don't really think I should even be calling it that. It isn't a review, it's just me, shouting. But I couldn't think of a clever title, so a review I shall call it! But anyway, I was kind of in a rush, because I have to finish the last book. Immediately. You should probably just ignore this post. It's probably in your best interest. Sorry to have inflicted this upon you poor, unsuspecting folks. But I can assure you, it'll get worse before it gets better. I would just avoid my Last Sacrifice review, if I was you. I just need to vent my feelings. I'm not making sense. I still don't know how I'm able to ramble on the internet. God, sorry, I'm actually stopping now.

4 comments:

  1. I really must continue reading this series!! You make me want to buy the series and read them in one go :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the VA series. I remember reading the ending of Spirit Bound and my face was literally like this o_O. So I understand how you feel! Glad you have Last Sacrifice to read straight away! Great review :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I love your thoughts on this. I love Adrian so much...wait till you read BL! But yes, you are SO lucky to have LS...the wait for it was appalling, but also kinda fun, being able to discuss all the theories!

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  4. anabolic steroids
    I have found result-oriented aspects from your composing. Thanks for your write-up.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...