Thursday 4 October 2012

Don't Judge A Girl By Her Cover review

Don't Judge a Girl By Her Cover
Ally Carter
June 9th 2009
Orchard Books

When Cammie "The Chameleon" Morgan visits her roommate Macey in Boston, she thinks she's in for an exciting end to her summer break. After all, she's there to watch Macey's father accept the nomination for vice president of the United States. But when you go to the world's best school (for spies), "exciting" and "deadly" are never far apart. Cammie and Macey soon find themselves trapped in a kidnappers' plot, with only their espionage skills to save them. 
As her junior year begins, Cammie can't shake the memory of what happened in Boston, and even the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women doesn't feel like the safe haven it once did. Shocking secrets and old flames seem to lurk around every one of the mansion's corners as Cammie and her friends struggle to answer the questions, Who is after Macey? And how can the Gallagher Girls keep her safe? 
Soon Cammie is joining Bex and Liz as Macey's private security team on the campaign trail. The girls must use their spy training at every turn as the stakes are raised, and Cammie gets closer and closer to the shocking truth...


Sorry for not having posted anything all week - I know, I'm awful, but I've just been busy lately. Like, actually busy. I know, I was shocked as well.

Don't Judge a Girl By Her Cover is the best Gallagher Girls book so far. It's really shaping up to be one of my favourites, which has surprised me because I thought I just wouldn't be that into them. They're just so much fun! And SO addicting.I just want to read them all right now, but I'm pacing myself because I have no idea how long we're going to have to wait until book 6. I do have the Heist Society books to read in the meantime, though...

The main reason why I loved this one more than the first two is because it's where we actually start to have a threat that isn't just a test. There is proper, serious kidnapping attempts in this one (though really, what is it with all of the kidnappings?!), and an actual bad guy. Well, we don't know exactly who the bad guy is, but we know about the Circle, so that's close enough for me. I really want to know about why they tried to take Cammie, though. I think I'm going to have to read the next books in fairly close proximity just so I can find out what the heck is going on.

Zach wasn't in this book as much, though, and that kind of made me sad, but at the same time, it just made all of the moments that he was in the book for even better. I did like the fact that there was less of a focus on there being a new interest, though, because I think that that's what a lot of the second book was. It's good to properly get into the plot, finally. Though I really hope that Zach is in it more. I just really like him, and I want to know if we can actually trust him or not, because at the minute I'm not entirely sure. I like to think that we can, but we never know with these spy types. Plus there's something so dodgy about Blackthorn. 

One of the best things about this series for me is the huge focus on Cammie, Bex, Liz and Macey. You don't see too many YA series out there that are more about friendship than romance, and I know that sounds a bit, well, cheesy, but you get my point. I like the fact that there's a really strong balance between the two. I also really liked their determination to protect Macey when they thought that she was the one being targeted, even though she already had the secret service and an ex-Gallgher Girl on her back. It was sweet.

I never really know what to say about books in a series. It's kind of difficult to keep on talking about them around the same time because I always feel like I'm going to end up repeating myself, so I'll just leave it here for now. Don't Judge A Girl By Her Cover is a really great addition to the series, and I can't wait to read the next one! Though I'll have to give myself some time between them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...