Sunday 2 December 2012

My Soul to Save review

My Soul to Save
Rachel Vincent
February 1st 2011
MiraInk

When Kaylee Cavanaugh screams, someone dies.So when teen pop star Eden croaks onstage and Kaylee doesn't wail, she knows something is dead wrong. She can't cry for someone who has no soul.

The last thing Kaylee needs right now is to be skipping school, breaking her dad's ironclad curfew and putting her too-hot-to-be-real boyfriend's loyalty to the test. But starry-eyed teens are trading their souls: a flickering lifetime of fame and fortune in exchange for eternity in the Netherworld--a consequence they can't possibly understand.

Kaylee can't let that happen, even if trying to save their souls means putting her own at risk....


It's been well over a year since I read the first Soul Screamers book, so all I could really remember when starting My Soul to Save was that I really enjoyed but that I hated Nash. That still remains the truth, and having a lot more of Tod in this book just highlighted how much I didn't like Nash. Overall, I don't think I enjoyed this book quite as much as the first one, but I did still like it a lot and I am really, really looking forward to the rest of the series because everyone says that it's great.

Kaylee is one of the best leads in a paranormal YA series that I've read in a while. It's odd, because usually when I hate the boy, I don't like the girl much either, but in this case I just cannot hate her. She does what she wants/what she needs to do to help other people even when  Nash thinks that it's a bad idea. She will risk her own life to help others get their souls back against her better judgement. She has a life outside of her boyfriend. Yet she still has insecurities and is still learning about her bean sidhe heritage. I just like her a lot and she can do so much better than Nash (like Tod!)

My main issue with Nash is just that he's one of those people who on instinct I don't like. You know those people? The one's who you can just look at and know that you're really going to have a problem with them? Well, I didn't even know that could happen with characters until now. He's  just boring, and he always thinks he knows better than Kaylee despite repeatedly being proved wrong. He;'s really protective (which isn't always a bad thing, but come on, sometimes it's just annoying and unnecessary) and I really don't trust him. I feel like he's going to be one of those jackasses who'll cheat and then when their girlfriends finds out will tell them not to worry about it. I don't know. He just irritates me.

I did really enjoy getting to see more of Tod in this book, though, and as much as I want him to be with Kaylee, it was nice getting to see him have an almost-romantic involvement with someone else. I know it's going to end up being a love triangle (and this is one love triangle I don't think I'll mind), but it's good getting to see him genuinely liking someone else, even if it was in fairly unfortunate circumstances. I do hope we'll get to see more of the old sarcastic Tod in the next book, though, even if he is still coping with the events at the end of this one. And I hear that Kaylee and Nash start having relationship troubles which is totally an opening for Tod to start popping in and talking to Kaylee when Nash isn't around (I just really, really, really want Kaylee and Tod together.)

I thought that the plot was a bit less exciting than in My Soul to Take, but I think that's a lot to do with the fact that I liked the more Mystery aspect to it. I still enjoyed this one, though, just not as much. Getting to learn more about the Netherworld was interesting, though, and I liked getting to actually go there this time instead of Kaylee just peering in. I'm guessing it's going to be really key to the books later on, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.

My Soul to Save was a really enjoyable second book, though I did feel it didn't quite match up to the first one. Very much looking forward to reading My Soul to Keep(?) soon, though!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, THAT'S what these books are about? Iiiinteresting... We had no idea. Sounds pretty cool actually!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...