Friday 11 January 2013

Out of Sight, Out of Time review

Out of Sight, Out of Time
Ally Carter
April 5th 2012
Orchard Books 

With more than a million Gallagher Girls books sold, a legion of fans have fallen in love with the "New York Times "best-selling spy-girl series, and the fifth book delivers the most nerve-wracking, high-stakes adventure yet. 

The last thing Cammie Morgan remembers is leaving the Gallagher Academy to protect her friends and family from the Circle of Cavan--an ancient terrorist organization that has been hunting her for over a year. But when Cammie wakes up in an alpine convent and discovers that months have passed, she must face the fact that her memory is now a black hole. The only traces left of Cammie's summer vacation are the bruises on her body and the dirt under her nails, and all she wants is to go home.


Once she returns to school, however, Cammie realizes that even the Gallagher Academy now holds more questions than answers. Cammie, her friends, and mysterious spy-guy Zach must face their most difficult challenge yet as they travel to the other side of the world, hoping to piece together the clues that Cammie left behind. It's a race against time. The Circle is hot on their trail and willing stop at nothing to prevent Cammie from remembering what she did last summer.


I know I only posted a Gallagher Girls review last week, but after that ending how could I NOT go straight on to the fifth book! I really don't know how many more times I can say this, but I LOVE this series. Like, full on Caps Lock, shout from the rooftops LOVE. Seeing as this will be my last Gallagher Girls review until the final (!!!) book comes out this year, I feel like I should thank Cait for running the giveaway where I won, like, every Ally Carter book ever and finally giving me the incentive to actually read these books, so thanks Cait!

Right, I'd thought that the last book had ratcheted up the tension, but this book just turned it all the way up to 11 (Spinal Tap, anyone? No? *tumbleweed*). And this book definitely took a turn for the serious. Of course, there were laughs along the way, but  shit happens in this book and it needed to be more serious. I think it just shows how much the series has grown (and I know I said this last time) since the first book. If I went back and read that now, I'd think it was a different series. Okay, maybe not a completely different series, but it's definitely become a more mature, exciting, complex series since book  1.

I know that I always say this, but Cammie really did prove herself in this book. What she has been through since the end of book 4 is just awful, and I know that she can't remember most of it, but seriously. The Circle NEEDS to be stopped. That is just not okay, on any level. But I also think that everyone has grown a lot since the last book, or at least shown a new side to them. It was nice getting to see more of Zach, especially now that he hasn't really got any secrets left. Don't get me wrong, I liked him all mysterious and not being able to tell if he was going to help Cammie or if he was just having her on, but it's a lot nicer having him like this and getting to see how much he really cared about Cammie. I was a bit worried about Bex at the beginning of this book, because I thought [spoiler redacted], but when that turned out not to be true and her and Cammie made up, that was when we saw Bex shine again. Liz and Macey were in this book more than the others, too, because all five of them (Bex, Cammie, Liz, Macey and Zach, as well as Cammie's mother and Aunt Abby and Agent Townsend) went around the world to try and get Cammie's memory back. I loved seeing Zach actually talking to people that weren't Cammie or Joe as well, and seeing him and Liz and Macey and everyone interact. That was nice. And a brief distraction from the plot, too.

I'm equal parts excited and dreading the next book, because the last series I got this invested in was Vampire Academy that's finished, and I just don't want this series to be over! I know that there's still Heist Society, and she'll write other books, and that there's the novella coming out this month, but still. Oh well, I've got a few months to steel myself up for it yet. I can already tell that someone I love is going to die. 

I'm going to keep this one fairly short because I don't want to spoil anything, and I'll only really be repeating what I said last week, but Out of Sight, Out of Time was great. 

1 comment:

  1. ZAAACCCHHHHHH!!!!! Excuse me whilst I just fangirl...

    I was really upset at the end of this book as I thought it would be the last one and that would be actual torture, but it's not so I'm okay now!
    I'm really glad that you enjoyed them!

    Just a little note, Heist Society is ten times awesomer...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...